- Measuring Growth
- Ohio Public
- Comparison Reports
- District Reports
- School Reports
- Additional Resources
- General Help
How This Report Helps You
This report enables you to select data of interest, assess trends over time, and compare results. Use the filters on the left to explore growth and achievement data. Depending on the assessment, achievement is reported in Normal Curve Equivalents (NCEs) or scale scores and does not reflect proficiency level.
OST Tested reports include all students tested at the district. OST Accountable reports include only those students accountable to that district. Please note that the data on this report is for the 2020-21 school year.
For step-by-step instructions on using the filters, see Interacting with the Report.
About Value-Added Reports
District Value-Added reports provide reliable measures of the average academic growth a district's students made in each tested grade and subject or course. The growth measures indicate how successful the district was in helping students meet expected growth. The value-added reports can help educators identify relative strengths and areas of concern across grades and subjects. When sufficient data is available, the reports include three years of growth measures and a three-year average growth measure. Examining patterns and trends across years can offer important insights into the effectiveness of the district's programs.
When you open a district value-added report, you see these options on the Tests/Subjects tab:
- Tested: This option categorizes students based on the district, school, and grade in which they tested in the reporting year.
- Accountable: This option categorizes students based on the district and school that are accountable for the student's learning. If a student did not attend one school long enough for the school to be accountable, the district is accountable. If a student did not attend school within one district long enough for the district to be accountable, the state is accountable.
It's important to view the value-added reports in conjunction with the diagnostic reports, which display patterns of growth for groups of students at different achievement levels.
How We Measure Growth
The model we use to calculate growth measures depends on the sequence of assessments administered. Concept of Growth provides complete descriptions of the models.
This analytic model is used for subjects that are assessed in consecutive grades.
- OST mathematics, English language arts, and composites in grades 4 through 8
This analytic model is used for subjects that are not assessed in consecutive grades (in other words, when students move from one assessment type to another or when students take the assessment in different grades):
- OST science in grades 5 and 8
- OST end of course, all subjects